Nowadays, using manual ice trays is inconvenient, especially when you have camping or fishing trips. In this case, you will find the ice maker to be an excellent investment.
Of course, cleaning your ice maker regularly is essential for hygiene, health, and taste if you own an ice machine. If you happen to own an Igloo model, this article will provide detailed instructions on how to clean an Igloo ice maker. So, without further ado, let’s get started!
- Things To Prepare Before Cleaning The Igloo Ice Maker
- How To Clean The Igloo Ice Maker (Step-By-step Instructions)
- Step 1. Remove ice from the dispenser
- Step 2. Press the clean button
- Step 3. Add the cleaning solution
- Step 4. Wait until the machine completes the cycle
- Step 5. Disassemble the internal components for cleaning
- Step 6. Mix cleaning solution to clean each part
- Step 7. Use the remaining cleaning solution to wipe the ice maker surface
- Step 8. Wash everything
- Bonus Tip: How to Clean the Exterior of Your Igloo Ice Maker
Things To Prepare Before Cleaning The Igloo Ice Maker
There are some necessary tools for an Igloo ice maker cleaning, including:
- Soft clothes
- Warm water
How To Clean The Igloo Ice Maker (Step-By-step Instructions)
There are various kinds of ice makers on the market with different models and functions, but mostly they are cleaned according to a similar process. Here are detailed instructions:
Step 1. Remove ice from the dispenser
Press the power switch and wait for a while for the ice to melt. Do not forget to turn off the machine after the ice falls from the evaporator.
Gather ice and store it in the refrigerator. In case they are not needed, place them in the sink to dissolve completely.
There will be a “wash” or “clean” button on your ice maker. Press it to let water flow from the dump valve into the drain.
After filling the trough with water, the display will notify you. Add cleaning solution afterward.
Step 3. Add the cleaning solution
Read the manual carefully to choose the most appropriate cleaner. Make sure it is designed specifically for Igloo ice makers.
Step 4. Wait until the machine completes the cycle
Depending on the type of ice maker, the cleaning process can take from 20 to 70 minutes. This is mentioned in the manual. Don’t forget to unplug (if applicable) the ice maker after cleaning.
Step 5. Disassemble the internal components for cleaning
Remove the individual components inside the ice maker and clean them. Please read the manual to take them out safely and correctly.
Step 6. Mix cleaning solution to clean each part
Read the detergent’s manual for the required amount of cleaning product. If the parts build up minerals significantly, you will have to use more detergent and repeat the cleaning process.
Put all the disassembled components into a bucket, then pour in the mixed solution. Most cleaners will foam on contact with scale, lime, or mineral deposits.
Use a sponge, soft bristle brush, or cloth to clean each part. Finally, rewash them with clean, warm water.
Step 7. Use the remaining cleaning solution to wipe the ice maker surface
Use a cloth brush soaked in a detergent solution to clean the surfaces of the bin, dispenser, and ice maker. In addition, parts such as sidewalls and evaporator parts also need to be wiped.
Step 8. Wash everything
Dip a soft cloth in water, then wipe all the surfaces you just cleaned with detergent. This is an essential operation to remove chemicals that are harmful to your ice.
Bonus Tip: How to Clean the Exterior of Your Igloo Ice Maker
Besides cleaning the Igloo ice machine, people should also take care of the outside. Although dirt or bacteria from the outside can’t get inside and to the ice, cleaning makes your machine look better.
- Clean around the ice machine
The ice may be scattered after each use of the machine. Don’t forget to clean it to prevent the staining of the countertop.
- Wipe the outside surface of the machine
Use a cloth to wipe the outside surfaces of the ice maker to remove dirt and dust from the unit.
- Remove grease
Sometimes grease can accumulate on the outside of the machine. Use mild dish soap to clean them. Make sure not to use citrus-based cleaners or abrasive cleansers to wipe your exterior panels.
- When should the Igloo ice machine be cleaned?
Please proceed to clean your Igloo ice maker when you notice any of the following signs:
- Low ice capacity
- The created ice has an Incomplete or shallow shape
- There is a smell coming out
- Poor ice quality (opaque, soft)
- Slow harvest
- Some tips for ice maker cleaning
While there are detailed instructions on cleaning the Igloo ice machine, some tips below help the cleaning process more efficiently:
- Manufacturers often require you to use specific cleaning agents to ensure the longevity of your machine and prevent problems that may arise. The preferred cleaning solution is Nickel-Safe Ice Machine Cleaner.
- Don’t forget to read the user manual carefully. The above step-by-step procedure cannot replace the owner’s manual.
- Do not mix different cleaning solutions; this can be toxic.
- Don’t forget to wear personal protective equipment, including safety glasses and gloves.
- What are the main parts of an Igloo ice maker?
- Transparent window to cover
- Ice maker and pusher
- Water reservoir (Not shown)
- Control panel
- Water drain cap
- Compressor cooling fan
- Ice shovel and ice basket
- What are the risks of dirty ice makers on people’s health?
People assume that ice is frozen, so it can’t be contaminated. But dirty ice has many harmful effects on people’s health.
Specifically, plastic tubing in ice machines often contains freshwater and other liquids during use. These fluids build up in the ice maker and create a breeding ground for bacteria and pathogens, such as E. coli and norovirus. As a result, they are reasons causing poisoning or other diseases for the user.
It is undeniable that the Igloo ice machine is more and more popular in modern life due to its convenience. Therefore, you must understand how to clean the Igloo ice maker to ensure its quality and productivity.
Hopefully, the above article can help you apprehend this cleaning process. Also, don’t forget to read the tips to increase efficiency.
Finally, if you have any questions, feel free to contact us or leave a message.